Re: Func 0.27 + Puppet

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:15, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:50:11AM -0500, Greg Swift wrote:
>>
>> I am not saying it is required to be compliant, I'm saying that it is
>> syntactically correct. I may be wrong, but I hold to what I say.  In
>> the old chkconfig method you defined start and stop order, and orders
>> it should be on in when enabled.  Why would you not do the same in the
>> new?
>
> You´re not doing the same in new and old.  In the old method you define
> start and stop order, yes, but you don´t define which runlevels it should
> default start/stop in (notice the "-" in the chkconfig line).

Okay.. func/certmaster don't seem to, you are correct.  I was basing
my statement on every time I've written a init script.  I didn't write
these.  And the fact that we weren't doing it for the old chkconfig
header didn't click in my head.

> Also, the recommendation for fedora packaging says about Default-Start:
>
>        Each Fedora SysV-style initscript which needs to start by default in any
>        runlevel must include this line in the LSB Header, and it must match the
>        list of runlevels defined for startup in the Chkconfig header. Only
>        services which are really required for a vital system should define
>        runlevels here.
>
> Ref:
>        http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/SysVInitScript#.23_Default-Start:_line

Since the Fedora guidelines are more specific about this than LSB, and
define which of the two ways I mentioned earlier to address this, then
thats fine, we can follow them.

> The reason I´m objecting is both that I think this is a bad default
> security wise (principle of least surprise -- it surprised me that a
> func dependency suddenly installed a network listening daemon that
> func didn´t need), and also it forces me to add logic to work around
> this when deploying minions trough puppet.

I agree that we needed to make sure it isn't starting something just
because it installed certmaster (or func for that matter).  It is a
problem, and needs to be resolved.

seth, do you see any problem with removing the default-start and stop
lines from the init scripts?

-greg