Re: MinionToMinion help

At Mon, 8 Mar 2010 18:20:13 +1000,
Ashley Wright wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to get Minion To Minion working on a small cluster. But
> am not having any luck. I did have it working once before, but then we
> rebuilt the machines and I forgot to save what I had done.
>
> I am not getting any errors just:
> [wright4@leo-boot func]$ func "*.portal" ping
> [ ok ... ] leo-d.portal
> [ ok ... ] leo-a.portal
> [ ok ... ] leo-e.portal
> [ ok ... ] leo-b.portal
> [ ok ... ] leo-c.portal
> [ ok ... ] leo-head.portal
>
> [root@leo-head func]# func "*.portal" ping
> [ FAILED ] leo-e.portal
> [ FAILED ] leo-a.portal
> [ FAILED ] leo-d.portal
> [ FAILED ] leo-head.portal
> [ FAILED ] leo-c.portal
> [ FAILED ] leo-b.portal
>
> leo-boot is my overlord, everything works fine from there. leo-head is
> one of my minions. All other nodes should have identical config.
>
> I have set (just lines I have changed):
> [wright4@leo-boot ~]$ cat /etc/certmaster/certmaster.conf
> autosign = yes
> sync_certs = True
> peering = False
>
> [root@leo-head ~]# cat /etc/certmaster/certmaster.conf
> sync_certs = False
> peering=True
>
> [root@leo-head ~]# cat /etc/func/minion.conf
> log_level = DEBUG
> acl_dir = /etc/func/minion-acl.d
>
> [root@leo-head ~]# cat /etc/func/minion-acl.d/portal.acl
> *.portal* = *
>
> [root@leo-head ~]# ls /var/lib/certmaster/peers/
> leo-a.portal.cert  leo-b.portal.cert  leo-d.portal.cert
> leo-head.portal.cert
> leo-boot.cert      leo-c.portal.cert  leo-e.portal.cert
>

> If anyone has any ideas, or information on where the func client logs (I
> can only find the funcd logs) I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Ashley

More than likely the certmaster daemon has started itself on leo.head
and generated a CA.  The minion-to-minion code will always use its
local CA certificate if it is present and will only fall back to using
it's "peering" certificate (e.g. the certificate issued from the real
overlord) if the CA is missing.  Seth's recent work to integrate
puppet certificates should also help with this; one can explicitly set
which certificate/key to use instead of relying on this logic.

In any case, if you have a directory /etc/pki/certmaster/ca/ on
leo-head that is a problem.  You can safely remote it (and chkconfig
certmaster off so it doesn't come back) and hopefully everything will
start working again.

Let me know if that helps.

- John