Re: minion delegation

Hello Seth,

sorry if I'm in late in the answer but I was doing a class for RedHat.

If you need, we have an "infrastructure" we can use to test
delegation...

Anyway it seems a really good thing what you are doing with puppet; the
result should be something like "use puppet directly as a func module"?

Bye
Marco

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 10:50 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Andreas Thienemann wrote:
>
> > On 02/23/2010 09:33 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:
> >
> > Policy-wise delegation is godsend. At many places it is much, much easier to
> > get firewall changes approved for one machine crossing firewall boundaries
> > than have every machine cross it. If compliance issues (e.g. PCI) come into
> > play, this can be very important.
> >
> > We are extremely happy with func itself. ssh and sshpass works for accessing
> > a large number of machines and doing stuff but func is easier for both
> > one-off calls as well as regular things. The latter is especially easy with
> > the ability to extend func with modules.
> >
> > Delegation however would need a bit of work. The current func release
> > horribly breaks delegation but ssalevan helpfully patched that part on his
> > github tree but it is not completely there yet. Globbing works, concatting
> > with a semicolon doesn't which is what I am looking into right now. :-)
> >
> > If you have any further questions I am happy to go a bit more into detail how
> > we use func.
>
> Andreas,
>   thanks for the input - this is valuable to know how it is being used.
> What I'm working on right now is to make it possible for func to use
> puppet certificates w/o breaking any of the other features of func. So I
> may ask you to test some code with the minion delegation feature before I
> check it in, if you're willing to. And I'd like to make sure ssalevan's
> new code is included.
>
> Thank you,
>
> -sv

Dott. Ing. Mornati Marco