funcd exits immediately after startup without error message

Hi func'ers,
I have the strangest behavior on a new server with func installed.   Starting the daemon says "OK" but immediately thereafter its gone, not in the process table and a status check says "dead but pid file exists".   I tried upping the log-level to debug, but don't see any error messages.  I also tried strace'ing it, but nothing in the output stands out (to me, could be a me thing there).

Output from every command I could think of is here: http://func.pastebin.com/m5c095167

Any ideas on what I should try next to troubleshoot it?

-jim