Re: New Ideas ?

On 07/14/2009 09:14 AM, Luca Foppiano wrote:
----- "Michael DeHaan" <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Luca
If you are parsing Func in your application, you are doing it wrong if
you are trying to be programatic, IMHO.

I wasn't thinking about parsing, just to have a output as soon as the application write on stdout.

You can do this yourself now by just connecting to one system at a
time via the API, although things like --nforks would now be up to
you.

Yes but if the command I launch takes 10 minutes, and after 10 minutes you got 1 mb output, is not so useful :)

We were talking about this on IRC,  from what we have architecturally right now I think the best we could do might be log things to seperate log files and provide an API for getting the log file for a task.

Not entirely sure if that would work.

Don't think we can do any sort of "remote tail" in any sort of sane way.

I am not sure it makes sense to integrate Func into monitoring and
config systems, TBH. I think monitoring/config systems do that
already.

I was thinking about puppet, if you want to run puppet on your infrastructure ("run puppet" I mean launch client update, so every client read and try to apply the configuration) you need to have a realtime output from every hosts.

Another example is for example jboss if you want to use func to attach yourself on jboss console log, and so on...

Bye
Luca