Re: Yum Module + RPM Module = Packages Module

Seth Vidal wrote:

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Milton Paiva Neto wrote:

In a conjunct effort me and Varinder Singh merged the RPM Module with the Yum Module and we create a module called Packages.

The module is available at:
http://func.pastebin.com/f215bec3b
http://matrix.senecac.on.ca/~mpaivaneto/packages.py

Don't call it packages.

unless the plan is to merge in deb package and other support as well.

-sv

Further -- joining the install and remove code with the yum code won't work on RHEL 4 installations, since it would require yum to be installed.

We also can't be changing API signatures for modules like this midstream, so this introduces duplication.

If you want to create a higher level packages module (that uses the rpm and yum module code), this is reasonable... but as Seth says, it should also support (at minimum) Debian and be an abstract
concept. It should also reuse the code from the other two modules.

PackageKit sort of comes up as a logical abstraction layer, but I think that's a bad idea seeing that's not available for EL 4, and enterprise-ness is the primary install base.

--Michael