Re: socket timeout setting for long running operations

khan_don@xxxxxxx wrote:
Adrian Likins wrote:
On Tuesday 10 March 2009 20:19:37 you wrote:
Hello, is there currently a way to set the timeout for long running
operations.
Use async instead of increasing the timeout.

func "*" call --async hardware info
Yup, using async is probably the best approach for these sorts of problems. From the commandline
it should be more or less transparent.

I do think it would be useful to have a config option/cli option for setting the timeout value however. It would probably need to be a global command option ("func --timeout" instead of "func call --timeout")
though I have no strong preference.

Any method to avoid the timeout is acceptable. I'll try async. I'm
actually using the Python API and not the CLI. I'll check to see what
the API option is. Thanks.

Ok, so I don't actively work on Func that much anymore, but I'll chime in as I think I'm partially responsible for this (though I think K.A. did most of the work) :)

There are two options to look for.

There's an async option -- which starts the job, but there's also an "async_poll" option, which makes the command feel like it's synchronous even when it's not. That may actually only be in the CLI. Both of these are used when constructing the API handle.

There is also some code in the CLI that makes sure certain long running methods go async, for instance, yum update, without the user needing to know they might
be long running.

--Michael