Re: virt patch

Luca Foppiano wrote:
On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 18:08 -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:

Rather than supporting arbitrary XML surgery for just graphics, how about allowing arbitrary XPath operations?

Don't mean to cause more work, though that seems generically useful.

We can investigate in that way :)

(Can augeas manipulate libvirt XML and would that be easier than XPath?)

no idea..

Also why not upstream the virt work into the existing virt module versus calling the extra module "symbolic" ?

he used a new module because the "techniques" used to retrieve
informations wasn't a clean way, but a set of workaround to pass over
the lack of libvirt python bindings functionality (virt-manager use the
same tecnique).

We can proceed in this way, on first step, we merge it into virt module
and pushing it into func, then, on second step, we can add xpath
functionality. ok?

I don't think so. It's important that APIs are consistent and I don't like the idea of having a function just for graphics, especially if it will go away later.

The best way to add VNC or other consoles to a guest is at install time, then they are guaranteed to persist.

--Michael