From: Simone Pucci <spucci@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lfoppiano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: modulo symbolic
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 17:18:42 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,
we are working to add to Symbolic the possibility to open a VNC applet and connect to Virtual machine VNC Screen.
I wrote this module that permit to change settings of virtual machine VNC socket. The module is quite complex because there is no way to modify machine graphics settings through libvirt at runtime.

In addiction to runtime method working for XEN hosts only, this module has also methods to rewrite virtual machines xml configuration files, like virt-manager, these methods works on KVM and XEN.

To use it, when will be pushed, we can add all documentation to wiki:

A short description of implemented methods:
#get_xml ask libvirt to get a vm xml
#print "%s" % funcmachine.symbolic.get_xml("VirtualmachineHostname")[HypervisorHostname]

#The same command in shell
#func "HypervisorHostname" call symbolic get_xml VirtualmachineHostname

#get_graphics parse vm xml and return a map with graphics info
#print "%s" % funcmachine.symbolic.get_graphics("VirtualmachineHostname")

#set_graphics write in config file of vm, graphic parameters described in the xml graphics section
#print "%s" % funcmachine.symbolic.set_graphics("VirtualmachineHostname","<graphics type='vnc' port='5904' listen='0.0.0.0'/>")

#runtime_set_graphics run vncserver of xen hosts on public interface and return relative info
#print "%s" % funcmachine.symbolic.runtime_set_graphics("VirtualmachineHostname")

Bye Simone.

Rather than supporting arbitrary XML surgery for just graphics, how about allowing arbitrary XPath operations?

Don't mean to cause more work, though that seems generically useful.

(Can augeas manipulate libvirt XML and would that be easier than XPath?)

Also why not upstream the virt work into the existing virt module versus calling the extra module "symbolic" ?

--Michael