Re: can func work without DNS

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don Khan wrote:
Hello,
 Is it possible for func to work in an environment where the nodes do not use DNS. What alternatives are there. Can I just distribute a central hosts file as part of a kickstart install. My goal is to use func with cobbler. Thanks.

Hi Don,

The certmaster infrastructure is pretty well keyed around FQDNs.    We use these for the certnames and we also use these for determining which hosts Func should contact.   I'm guessing it would take a fair amount of work to make it work with arbitrary names for things or just IP's.

Do you mean that you don't have DNS, or you just have really unreliable DNS (like, say, some Active Directories I have known in the past)?

--Michael

Hi Michael,

I can see the need for FQDNs but could func work with a centrally distributed hosts file with FQDNs. How does the resolver work. What if I set the systems nsswitch.conf file to search files first. Thanks.