Re: Working in a Func Module to verify the Integrity of the RPMs

Milton Paiva Neto wrote:
Hi my name is Milton Paiva, I am student of the Post-Graduate (Graduate
Certificate) Course - Linux and Unix System Administration from the
Seneca College and I just beginning to work in module for Func.

I intend to make a module able to execute the command "rpm --verify -a"
 to verify the integrity of all the packages on a given system.

I saw the module rpm inventory

By module, I think you mean "function"?  i.e. rpm.inventory()

and I am thinking in make this module to
work in the same way as inventory, but instead of get all the rpms
installed in the system, I will verify the integrity of all the rpms
already installed in the system.

Generally I would suggest not creating another RPM module for this. I'd just add a new method called "verify".

Of course this would mean func-inventory would not contain the results of the inventory automatically, so if you wanted you could posssibly do this:

inventory() returns a hash

hash looks like:

{
   "installed"  :  old_results_go_here,
   "verify"      :  new_results_go_here
}

This would inflate everyone's diffs on upgrading to the new version but I can see that being useful.

Then again, we /could/ technically have a new module for this, though I'm not sure we want two RPM modules. Ultimately I'd like to move closer to having just a module called "package" that would be distro agnostic. (While a "packagekit" module might make sense, this is actually not sufficient as packagekit wouldn't be used on EL 4/5 ... hence needing the smarts in the func-module)

Anyone else have thoughts on module cleanup strategy?

Ultimately I think right now we have a lot of modules that are basically just wrappers around shell commands and we should be moving towards higher level abstractions.

Admittedly, I'm not working on this now however, so take that just as my opinion. Func as a framework seems to be doing very well, but the modules I think are one area where we can make a lot of improvements, not so much for command line usage, but for other applications that we want to build on top of them...

Func-inventory is one simple example, but there can be a lot more... ultimately I think we need to think more about how things return data and what modules we have to be moving in that (API-oriented) direction.

--Michael