Re: R: Re: Standing orders queue

Here again,

now I can answer to mail directly from my laptop (use mobile phone is
not so convenient ;)).

Anyway... as I said before one proposal could be a "reverse integration"
from func to Symbolic to use "database". So for example we could have a
module named "queue" that requires symbolic and then, calling something
like:

func "client(s)" call module anything else --queue

we are saying that we want, in case of machine shutdown, that our
operation will be queued on that machine.

Could be a solution but for a simple queue we need a "web application"
dependency only to use a database.

In any case we need to save our "operation" to know that there is a
queued operation to run on machine X (memory is not the solution because
we may want to restart overlord and we need the queued operations remain
queued! ;)).
So what I can suggest is something like "async":

I run an operation with same command I've written before and, catching
the error (unreachable host or don't know which other) I write a file in
queue folder.

	machine-x-20081007-120432.func

inside this file I can, for example, serialize my command using
"func-transmit" method... in this way my operation is surely queued on
machine till it will be run.
When my machine-x wake up it makes a "reverse handshake", calling (with
xmlrpc?) certmaster and saying "hello I'm here, it there a mail for
me?" :)
So in this way certmaster could look for all files named "machine-x*"
and it call each one using func-transmit < machine-x*...

Could be a useful solution?

For us, as I said, there is a queued implementation partially done
inside symbolic, but if all world like a "queue operations" we could
move this kind of implementation over func and done it for you (after
planning on way to follow ;)).

Waiting for others opinions.

Bye
Marco

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 08:02 +0200, mmornati wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> we have planned to introduce queue for offline machine in symbolic. Following this direction it's easy to implement because we have a database where we could store information.
> If this is a feature that everybody need (i think yes) we could move our implementation on func layer.
> At the moment I don't have an idea to solve queueing for offline machine. What we surely need is a place to remember operations you have tried to run!
> We can suggest a complete integration with symbolic that also has an xmlrpc server and database; so from cli or inside python script you could call it to queue your operation, but maybe is not the best solution. We will think to this.
>
> bye
> Marco
>
> -- msg. originale --
> Oggetto:	Re:  Standing orders queue
> Da:	Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Data:		06/10/2008 21:39
>
> Michael DeHaan wrote:
> > It would be nice to have a way to issue offline orders to minions so
> > they could check in when they come online (via XMLRPC) and then see if
> > they have any orders.
> >
> > This is the other mode of communication we would like to support in
> > order to enable Func to replace OSAD in Spacewalk.
> >
> > For example, "this node should yum update the next time I see it" is
> > different from "this node should update now if it's online".
> >
> > Anyone have any thoughts on implementations?
> >
> > --Michael

> To elaborate, basically with what we have here and also the new cobbler
> "config file templating" feature, we have the makings of a much easier
> to understand config management tool, all in Python, and all very easy
> to understand.   This could be the beginings of "RRS" (remote rocket
> surgery) built on Cobbler+Func.   (See also recent Cobbler integration).
>
> We just need a way to address offline nodes, basically.
>
> --Michael

Dott. Ing. Mornati Marco
Byte-Code s.r.l
via Antonio Cechov, 1