Re: Information collector Module

seth vidal wrote:
On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 23:40 +0200, Marco Mornati wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about a way to solve a thing I want to do through func in
Symbolic.

I want to insert the machine "metric" analysis... so user could show a
graph for memory usage, processor usage, ...
The first idea it's impossible to realize because I need to call each
minion every "seconds" to get all information I need... and this could
saturate my network with "unuseful" requests.

So here my second solution.
I want to create a module that will work like a collector of information
on machine and it will store all information in a "local database" (or
over a file or something different) and when user want to show graphs
for a particular machine, certmaster call func minion module to get
"all" information from it.

I talked with DeHaan sometimes ago about database in func and I know
that he doesn't want database!! So I have two question:
- Can I create a database for a func module? :)
- Could be a useful function in func... or it's just something that only
symbolic will use?

It might be easier to make a func module that let's you pull data out of
collectd.

-sv

+1. I like this much better than an SNMP approach as suggested later in this thread. Let collectd gather it's bits and leverage the probes that are already there and just use Func to extract it if desired.