Re: Information collector Module

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:40:53PM +0200, Marco Mornati wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm thinking about a way to solve a thing I want to do through func in
> Symbolic.
>
> I want to insert the machine "metric" analysis... so user could show a
> graph for memory usage, processor usage, ...
> The first idea it's impossible to realize because I need to call each
> minion every "seconds" to get all information I need... and this could
> saturate my network with "unuseful" requests.
>
> So here my second solution.
> I want to create a module that will work like a collector of information
> on machine and it will store all information in a "local database" (or
> over a file or something different) and when user want to show graphs
> for a particular machine, certmaster call func minion module to get
> "all" information from it.
>
> I talked with DeHaan sometimes ago about database in func and I know
> that he doesn't want database!!
> So I have two question:
> - Can I create a database for a func module? :)
> - Could be a useful function in func... or it's just something that only
> symbolic will use?

Is func really the right tool for this job?

net-snmp reports this kind of information, is almost certainly installed
(or easy installable) on every unix host you have, if relatively easily
configured to give you basic information on the host, and can be
extended to report anything about the host.

Additionally a ton of tools exists for polling/capturing/graphing the
data you can get from snmp:
http://www.cacti.net (because we use it)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_network_monitoring_systems

If you're worried about network capacity, you can use snmp traps to only
log when certain events occur and so cut down on polling.

> Bye
> Marco
>
> --
> Dott. Ing. Mornati Marco