Re: Porting func on gentoo

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 02:07:24 +0200
Luca Lesinigo <luca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First of all, the ebuilds. I'd like to refine them a little.
> I'd split the overlord and minion setups with a USE flag. I think it
> is correct to assume that only the overlord has a runtime dependency
> on certmaster while the minions don't need it. Also, I see that the
> source contains overlord/ and minion/ directories. Can the overlord/
> one be safely removed from a minion setup?
No, certmaster is not only a daemon but also set of modules that are
used by BOTH minion and overlord. You need certmaster on both of them.
You can remove overlord/ directory from the minion (or at least it
should be possible.. if it's not, report bugs:)).

> Also, some modules don't work on gentoo (like the service module,
> needs to be adapted) and some others simply don't make sense (like
> yum). I'd like to exclude them from the installation: is it simply a
> matter of removing the given file/directory under modules/ ? I'd
> also remove modules with extra dependencies based on USE flags (eg.
> remove nagios stuff if USE=-nagios).
Yes, minion modules (and all others in the current GIT tree) are loaded
dynamically from proper directories on the filesystem. If you remove
the file it won't be loaded, that's all.

> When I'll get a clean installation with just the working modules,
> the next step would be to patch existing code where needed. Is there
> any "portability" provision already in the source? (I've git-cloned
> your repo but I have yet to dig in it)
> For example, I think it would be good for func to detect the system
> type at startup (eg., fedora/gentoo/bsd/solaris/whatever) and store
> that in a variable, modules would use that info to select correct
> defaults / behaviors.
There is no existing code for that so far. We have something like
modules configuration files that could be used to specify/tweak some of
the modules behavior. I haven't yet written any documentation about
that but it's quite simple. Not sure if it's enough however.