Re: Cool project - A few questions

Bob Cavey wrote:
Hey ML,
Been following since June only on the mailing list and see lots of progress and this project has great potential to replace our key based ssh administration.

- I thought I read somewhere about RedHat opensourcing the Satellite server... have you folks looked/thought if they can leverage from your project or vice-versa?

Adrian and I both work very closely with Spacewalk/Satellite developers. Func is being considered as a potential replacement for OSAD, similarly Cobbler will be replacing the provisioning module in Satellite early next year. Func is not yet committed, though it is something we hope can happen.

- What user does the client execute a given job/command ? I am seeing in the docs that you can run func as non-root on the overlord but does that user need to exist on all clients.

The reason we introduce the words "overlord" and "minion" are because server and client mean so many different things. For instance, the minion is actually a server, not a client, though it's a client of the management framework :)

Anyway, you're probably asking about the minion. The minion executes commands are root as it needs the access. The Func ACL system is there to restrict certain commands if needed.

- Will the new release next week be available via fc8 extras repo?

FYI: Fedora 7 (and subsequently 8) has no "Core" and "Extras" any more. Yes, this should be pushed to Fedora 8 updates.

Thanks,