Re: Forcing async mode when calling remote methods

Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:51:24 -0400
From: Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Krzysztof A. Adamski" <krzysztofa@xxxxxxxxx>
Topic: Re:  Forcing async mode when calling remote methods

Krzysztof A. Adamski wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:08:10 -0400
> Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> How about a syntax a bit more like this? We could make this more
>> generic so we might be able to pass in other hints later. Perhaps
>> call it /etc/func/methods.conf
>>
>> [command]
>> run = async
>>
>> [virt]
>> install = async, not_on_tuesday
>>
>> [yumcmd]
>> update = async
>>
>> I don't have any good ideas for what "hints" might be, but that
>> strikes me as being a bit more editable if there are later 50 methods
>> in there.
>>
> Maybe it could be used to specify something like timeout. If we run in
> async, this would mean how long we should poll before returning with
> error.  One could also specify interval between polls. But is this
> useful ?

I think it is.

If we are scripting a yum update operation, a valid timeout might be
several hours, but if it were to take
longer we've selected a very bad mirror and it might as well be an
error. For other operations, we might
want to know about that sooner, and we could possibly kill the pid.

FYI, this ended up off-list, if it's ok with you, you can fwd it.

--Michael