Re: Symbolic a new func front-end

Luca Foppiano wrote:
On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 15:51 -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
[...]

* We need a web application usable also by not skilled people, to
perform some func installations, and to be compliant with web
application requirements within certain huge enterprise environment (for
instance, banks), so we need to build it using a vm based language.
* We developed symbolic using grails, because it supports J2EE/JEE and
provides an agile and fast framework to build web application using a
standardized design.

This isn't actually a reason for not going with something Python based, FWIW, but that's ok.

I know, but the main reason was the first point :)

* Right now we use func command line launcher to retrieve some
information, but there are some problems go along this way (first of all
we cannot yet launch func with async mode).
Right now, we do have XMLRPC to the invidual minions, and this does point at interest in having an XMLRPC API to an overlord daemon. Would this be something you would be interested in helping work on? I'll take a look at it -- this may be something our
GSOC guys might even be interested in, we'll have to talk about it.

uhm, this looks as an interesting feature...and permit to make frontend
indipendent from backend... I'm interested to help :)

Luca

Cool.

The best way to do this is probably to get XMLRPC over Unix socket working and then surface the Client() API over that XMLRPC interface -- this would be different from the minion API. I have had this working before in a prototype (xend does this internally) but it was leaking /lots/ of memory. If you want to have a shot at straightening that out and surfacing the methods in Client() that could be useful.

By going the local socket approach we wouldn't have the problem of having to deal with security all over again for the overlord's XMLRPC API... I feel like I've gone back and forth on this before, though earlier my comment was we didn't need it -- so we'd worry about it when we did.

This seems like something you could definitely use though, so sure...

--Michael