Re: Coordinating efforts

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Michael DeHaan wrote:

Krzysztof A. Adamski wrote:
 On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:05:12 -0400
 Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >  Exacly. But i think we will need 2 methods, one for numerical values
> >  and second for this additional informations. stats() could be good
> >  for the first one while something like plot_info() could return the
> > last. > > > Works for me. You would also only need to call plot info on one node
>  (or could reference that info from the locally installed source
>  without calling via the Client API). Could also be a file in /etc even

 I'm not sure which is better. If there are different versions of Func
 (or only modules) on minions (or on overlord) it will be a problem to
 keep this in sync..

Yeah, I think it's a "don't care" at this point. 2 XMLRPC calls are not much worse than 1.

> I still think you can solve the NAT problem by making the NAT box a > certmaster and using a proxy, but we need to do configurable ports > anyway (just because hardcoding is bad), so I think that's reasonable.

 Yes it could be a solution but it's not always possible. Sometimes
 router is just a stupid box running some embedded OS and sometimes you
 just can't or don't want to install anything on it..

Right, I'm not disagreeing. Most interest in Func is going to come from datacenters/labs/grids/etc, where this won't need to exist. If you are using it for "do something to my home machine" then it could be useful. It's still easy enough to add so I don't see a reason for not doing it for the home-setup with two servers behind a Linksys box case.

Actually I have seen multiple small networks behind NATs in a quite a few instances. Satellite downlink stations, ship networks, customer colo support. Amazon cloud also does NAT and public IP is extra cost.

Having a system be NAT neutral is good feature in general.

> Having something like a copyfile API that pushes and renders remote > Cheetah templates
>  could be interesting.

 Yes, it would be cool to have an option to send template. Otherwise
 default one stored in config file could be used.. (this allows creating
 virtual host on couple servers at one time, each having slightly
 different config).

--
-subhendu