Re: Coordinating efforts

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:40:08 -0400
Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> -- Making async command line calls work, and general cleanup of
> async/copyfile/etc in general
This is part of my proposal.. We have discussed async calls on the IRC
some time ago. I think both mpdehaan and alikins took part in the
discussion. I did some notes to my GSOC application:
  d) Async 'call' cmd_module:
    The module should take a optional (--async) argument that will force
    it to take advantage of async API. User should be able to select if
he wants to wait for results (--poll, default behavior) or he will use
    --jobstatus argument to check the status himself (--nopoll). It
could be further enhanced to automatically use async call for some
marked methods (like yum.update()).

The problem with async calls is that GSoC coding begins at May 26 while
there where at least 2 people asking for that on the IRC in last couple
days. If it's not illegal, I would be happy to start working on this
even before offical coding begins. What do you think?

As for copyfile improvements, i would like to create some minion module
that is able to create some temporary files. This module should have,
at least open(), close() and append() methods. open() would create the
local file (possibly with some temporary filename); append() would be
called in a loop each time overlord reads some data from the local
file. Finally, close() would finish the operation. Overlord could use
this methods to send files in chunks.

> -- The statistics gathering ideas in the GSOC proposals that had
> similar ideas and can probably be divided up into backend/frontend
> parts?
I think we should think about some general API (like some methods
that should be provided by a module) statistic modules should use in
order to report some informations. In addition to just returning some
values, it would be good to provide informations that could then be
used by some plot tools (like title, units etc).
The idea is to create architecture similar to inventory. I would like
to create a simple tool that will work similar to func-inventory (being
an example of using this API).It will query modules for data and use
rrdtool to store them and create some plots.

> I think makkalot had the most interest in doing FuncWeb stuff, and I
> believe pleple wanted the proxy issue?
I was interested in working on port issues, not really proxy stuff. I
would like to make it possible for funcd (and possibly also certmaster)
to listen on different ports. It should be possible to use different
port number on each minion and globing should still be working. In
order to achieve that, we have to store port information on the
overlord. I've proposed three ways:
- storing port information in the filename, like:
  {hostname}:{port}.(cert|csr|pem)
- using dedicated file for special configuration, like:
  {hostname}.conf
- using dedicated directory with individual files for each additional
  setting, like:
  {hostname}/port.conf
  {hostname}/some_other_stuff.conf

First one is the simplest but it's not scalable. We may possibly want
to have some more special configuration informations associated with
minions and using filenames for all this won't be good idea.
We wan't func working on big setups, like thousands of minions. This
means we will have a lot of files in the cert directory. This may be a
problem for performance so using dedicated directory for each minion
could be better (we could place cert files there too -this won't be
backward compatible but we can work around this..).

Other things I'm going to work as part of GSoC program include adding
support for local modules configuration files (on minions) and some new
modules:
- users, groups and hosts configuration modules:
  just modules for managing user groups and accounts and /etc/hosts file
- Apache httpd module:
  Module should allow some basic Apache httpd configuration, with
  possibility to quickly add/remove additional virtualhosts by
  creating directory, setting proper permissions and dropping config
  file in /etc/httpd/conf.d/
- Cron and at modules:
  Modules allowing remote configuration of cron and at services.