Re: proposal: func proxy

Luca Foppiano wrote:
Hi, I want an opinion about an ideas about possible new func module.
A limitation of actual design is when you have an host that is
impossible to reach directly. This situation is frequent especially in
enterprise networks.

Yep, discussion in IRC brought some of that up as a possible way to also resolve some NAT problems. It's also similar to the way some other distributed tools build up some really speedy command dispatch (though I think Func with nforks=50 is probably close).

A sample network can be:

* server1 can access to client1, client2, client3
* client1 can access to sub_client1, sub_client2 server1 can't access directly to sub_client1 and sub_client2;
An idea can be launched on server1:

fc.proxy("client1").client("sub_client1").command()
fc.proxy("client1").client("*").command()

When we were talking about it on IRC, client1 was an overlord of sub_client1, that is, the certs for sub_client1 were not stored on the machine running the commands in question. Is that the way we would want to do it? Support both? I am kind of in favor of tiered
overlords for very large organizations and that seems to be very valuable.

What might command line syntax for that look like? What about for "send this command to every machine I have in the entire world"?

which execute command() on sub_client1 starting from server1.

This is only a proposal and is possible to build multihop, but I don't
have idea if is possible to implement...I think yes :-)

for example something like
fc.proxy("client1").proxy("client2").client("*").command()

but ATM only a hop is enought :-)

If we do it right, we probably get multiple hops for free.
any suggestion? ;-)

I like the idea a lot :)

bye
Luca