Re: [RFC] iptables module

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:56:21 -0400
Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     -- Persistance (you mentioned this)
>     -- Support "save" to write stuff to /etc/sysconfig/iptables
How this two should be different? I would like to be as much distro
independent as it's possible (. I would like to call
"/sbin/iptables-save" and store the result in appropriate place. This
will be different in distros other than Fedora so i would like it to be
configurable. What is the best (standard) way of handling this?

>     -- Possibly allow functions to take lists as well, so if you
> wanted to add 10 different rules, it wouldn't be 10 calls.
Could you give me an example of module doing that so i can see what
exactly you mean?

> I definitely like the option of being able to do REJECT instead of
> DROP, since that plays nicer with external error
> handling.
This is easy. I could just clone "drop*" methods and change their names
to "reject*", like this:
  func '*' call iptables reject_from 192.168.0.10
  func '*' call iptables.port reject_to 80 192.168.0.10

> Feel free to hack on it some more if you like, I'll commit it
> whenever you're ready -- or we can go ahead and check
> this version in now too.
I would like to get some comments on the code and API of this module.
Just quick look, maybe something could be done simpler/better?