Re: Google summer of code ideas and application

Dmitrijs Milajevs wrote:
Hello,

My name is Dima and I'm student from Latvia. It's my first year in the
University of Latvia and I'm very interested in coding and open
source/free software.

What I like about Func, that it combines administrative tasks and programming.

Previously, I talked to Michael and he offered me 2 options. Either o
write Func modules or to develop FuncWeb. I prefer working on FuncWeb,
but I also want to write some modules.

Recently I've installed func, tried available modules and now I have
couple of ideas.

Installation is extremely easy, but it would be great if ports were
opened and selinux rules added. May be such a thing worth to separate
in a module or rpm, where administrator can define opened ports,
enable/disable selinux or even define rules, specify certmaster. And
store this rpm in the local repo.

IMHO, it doesn't make very much since to write SELinux rules for an application that is, by definition, there to reprogram every aspect of the system. (Same goes for writing cfengine rules for something like puppet or cfengine, while not like Func, they are similarly open ended by design).

As for iptables configuration, that can be done by the user (or their configuration management system), so we don't need an RPM for that.

I've read https://fedorahosted.org/func/wiki/SystemConfigAnalysis.
There are features I would like to work on.

The first is a language module for FuncWeb. It is simple and should be
easy to write. I see it as a 'Hello world' application. While I'll be
coding it, I'll get to know how to use version control system, write
documentation, comments and tests. And I'll try to start writing it
before the summer.

The next is services. It could be done in two ways: standard view
where services for one machine are shown, and second - table where
services for all the machines in the network are shown.
There's already a module for services. If you were planning on extending FuncWeb, I'd ideally like to see FuncWeb fleshed out for *all* existing modules, rather than just adding a few web panels.
Also I suggest to make info module, which provides information about a
computer, like cpu, availiable ram, filesytem. It should be like
system tab in the System monitor in GNOME.

We already have this as well in "hardware" and "mount"...

The last idea is to implement VirtModule frontend.

I have to write application, what ideas should I include there and which not?

All of them :)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Dima