Application for GSoC Project - Func / Network Automation

Hello, Michael!

My name is Pavel. I am a post-graduate student of the State University.
I'm interested in networking and system administration *nix machines and writing scripts
and web applications for convenience and simplifying administration.

It would require your help to apply my skills in setting up the project for GSoC.

I have good experience in:
-- configuration and support services / servers to be administered RHEL, CentOS and Fedora
-- command shell
-- user interface design and development of web applications
-- scripting languages: perl, python, php and the popular frameworks for them
-- XML, HTML / XHTML, CSS, semantic and cross-browser making-up

Servers of Computing Centre University are working under the management of RHEL, CentOS and Fedora. They are enough to perform certain commands on each of the machines manually several times.

Not long ago, I discovered Func - a great tool that makes the administration of a large number of Fedora machines more easier.

Func is modular, extensible and simple tool for the administrator.

Func has already many different modules. I have a lot of ideas for the creation of new modules or
Func interaction with existing tools and applications Fedora.

Recently, I began to use actively virtualization technology in the administration. I tried a lot of tools for virtualization and focused on technology-based virtualization container - OpenVZ.
OpenVZ works well with RHEL 4 and 5.

I head about the module Virt Module for Func, but would like very much to set up a special module for the support and management OpenVZ containers. There are a lot of containers, which are physically located on different servers and Func could help greatly. That would be great to integrate func with web application, which can help to monitor state and security, manage the load, allocate resources, create, delete and configure OpenVZ containers. Information can be displayed graphically.

I intend to use these technologies in writing the theses on:
"Models, methods and software tools for security analysis and performance computer systems and networks "

I would like to know what do you think about it.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas
--
Best regards. Pavel Khardikov