Re: API/Code Documentation

Michael DeHaan wrote:
Jesus M. Rodriguez wrote:
On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:44:40PM -0500, Steve Milner wrote:
I was showing func off to a coworker the other day when a question came up ...

"This is pretty cool ... where can I get the Code/API documentation?"
The obvious answer is to look at the code ... but why not use
something like epydoc? In past projects it has been helpful and
generally improved the documentation in the code.

I agree. Epydoc rocks. We used it with another, no defunct, project.

The one thing I don't want to see is a bunch of javadoc-miming, where we have stuff like

@param thisIsAFoo -- this parameter is a Foo

which is not kept updated and isn't useful.

I would actually like to see more /user/ level documentation built first ... code generated docs only go so far.

On a related note...

modules that take arguments like "all arguments that go through traceroute" need to be first fixed so they are API based, as opposed to just passing a bunch of items to a shell prompt.

Getting away from just being a shell wrapper and screen scrapping commands should be a continous goal. We haven't been awesome about that in the past, but now is the time to start doing that.

I would much rather see that happen now than adding a bunch of documentation about how those commands work, especially as we are starting to see other applications start building themselves
around Func.

Also, writing more (well fleshed out) modules and example apps to showcase the platform...

--Michael