Re: why we shouldn't use ssh

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 09:55 -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:

> >> If puppet weren't
> >> written in Ruby I'd probably use that.
> >>

> Yeah, this is totally not a config mgmt system

I make extensive use of puppet, and find that puppet and func make a
super pair.  What puppet lacks that func provides is the ability to
issue remote commands and gather feedback.  Puppet (or any config
management system) operates on the principle of clients checking in with
a central system and asking if there's a change in their config.  Func
allows valuable metadata to be collected on remote systems, and
immediate or scheduled, centralised management of remote systems.

S.