Re: why we shouldn't use ssh

On 1/14/08, Eli Criffield <elicriffield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I hope this doesn't reopen a closed topic, I know it was left at "low
> priority, but patches may be accepted". I disagree. I don't think func
> should ever use SSH. SSH is a great protocols for what it does, RPC is
> not it. One of the reasons to use func is the limitations of SSH.
>
> To use SSH as a transport you could either pipe to stdin/stdout,
> create a new SSH subsystem (like sftp does), be expect like and parse
> lines, or create a new SSHD deamon so you can control both ends like
> you do now.  Piping to stdin/stdout would lose a lot of functionality
> of XMLRPC, you could only return a string from a function. Using
> expect like commands is just pron to error, and isn't that what we're
> trying to get away from?  Creating a new SSH subsystem would probably
> work OK, but it seems like a lot of work for no benefit over the
> current system, and may have some limitations I'm not aware of.
> Making your own SSHD would work fine, and wouldn't be that much work
> if you used twisted conch libraries, but it would be a hard sell
> replacing every running OpenSSH instance with your own beta SSHD. You
> could run your SSHD on a different port, but then why not just run
> your XMLRPC server?
>
> I've been using some form of SSH to manage many systems for years. I
> finally decided that SSH as a transport is not suited for managing
> many systems at once. When people say "cool does it do SSH" there
> missing the point, they should be saying "It doesn't use use SSH,
> Cool!". What is needed is a simple RPC protocol authenticated by a
> signed key chain. SSL and XMLRPC fit the bill. If puppet weren't
> written in Ruby I'd probably use that.
>
> Eli Criffield

Puppet works fine for configuration management, but, at least right
now, func's primary audience is not those looking for a configuration
management system.

I agree about ssh ... ssh is great for remote administration but to
actually manage lots of systems in a scriptable or programmable way
you need something designed with that in mind.

--
"An organisation that treats its programmers as morons will soon have
programmers that are willing and able to act like morons only."