Re: knock knock?

On Nov 26, 2007 8:11 AM, seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was thinking about the funcd->certmaster interaction this weekend and
> the problem we have with the localhostname that the system gets being
> nothing the certmaster can really use or care about sensibly - for
> example: somehostname.localdomain
uncd -> >
> it ends up meaning we have a system which can get a signed cert but we
> cannot connect to from the certmaster using func b/c we don't have a
> connectable hostname.
>
> With that in mind I was wondering if it wouldn't make sense to have the
> funcd->certmaster interaction be more involved:
>
> funcd -> startup
> funcd -> knock, knock, certmaster
> funcd -> who am I?
> certmaster -> I see you as foo.bar.org
> funcd -> here's my csr for foo.bar.org
> certmaster -> thanks
>
> later after the sysadmin signs the csr
>
> funcd -> knock, knock, certmaster
> funcd -> who am I?
> certmaster -> I see you as foo.bar.org
> funcd -> here's my csr for foo.bar.org
> certmaster -> yes, good, here's the cert for you, foo.bar.org.
> funcd -> great, we're done.
>
> That way we know that the ip/name that the certmaster is seeing on the
> connect is the same one that funcd is using in its cert.
>
> Now, obvious problem here is NAT - but that was going to be a problem
> anyway afaik.
>
> thoughts on this?

DHCP would also be an issue correct?

funcd0 -> landshark mitm -> certmaster  knock, knock, certmaster
certmaster -> landshark mitm -> funcd0  I see you as lshark.bar.org
funcd0 -> landshark mitm -> certmaster  here's my csr for lshark.bar.org
certmaster -> landshark mitm -> funcd0  Cool, here's your cert.
funcd0 -> landshark mitm -> certmaster  Great, we're done.

funcd1 -> landshark mitm -> certmaster  knock, knock, certmaster
certmaster -> landshark mitm -> funcd1  I see you as lshark.bar.org
funcd1 -> landshark mitm -> certmaster  here's my csr for lshark.bar.org
???? what happens then ????

------ Second Case -----

funcd0-DHCP0 -> certmaster  knock, knock, certmaster
certmaster -> funcd0-DHCP0  I see you as lshark.bar.org
funcd0-DHCP0 -> certmaster  here's my csr for lshark.bar.org
certmaster -> funcd0-DHCP0  Cool, here's your cert.
funcd0-DHCP0 -> certmaster  Great, we're done.

funcd1-DHCP0 -> certmaster  knock, knock, certmaster
certmaster -> funcd1-DHCP0  I see you as lshark.bar.org
funcd1-DHCP0 -> certmaster  here's my csr for lshark.bar.org
????