Re: Func and kerberos

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 14:55 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Karl MacMillan wrote:
>
> > I think you are making assumptions about where the complexity will creep
> > in that are not quite what I meant. If you make 2 changes:
> >
> > 1. run tasks in helper processes
> >
> > 2. have a hook to allow those processes to be run with reduced
> > privileges (different uid / security context / perhaps privilege set)
> > based on who invoked the task (probably just user but other things are
> > possible).
> >
> > You can add 2 later, but probably the best thing is to allow modules to
> > be plugged in that figure out the privilege level and start the task.
> > That way I could write a small selinux module.
> >
> > With those changes you are pretty much done. The lockdown is *not* done
> > per-module. That makes no sense with flexible modules that can do almost
> > anything ssh can do. By separating tasks into processes you can write
> > selinux policy or use unprivileged user accounts to control what the
> > tasks are able to do. That makes it an optional, admin task and doesn't
> > add developer complexity.
> >
> > You could also add simply whitelist / blacklist style control over which
> > modules a user can use, but that may not be required.
>
> Hmm.  OK, I see the value of this approach.
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to *require* things to be broken out into
> helper apps

You could certainly allow them to be run either in-process or
out-of-process. The downsides are that there may be subtle bugs in one
and not the other and you miss out on some robustness that you get from
the separate processes.

>  -- and I think keeping the "ssh equivalency" command is pretty
> key.

Sure - and by using the separate processes you can have that *and*
enforce some meaningful restrictions on it in a flexible way.

>   But yeah, making it possible to use standalone helpers, and coming
> up with basic blacklist/whitelist functionality, could be pretty useful,
> pretty fast.

Obviously I agree.

Karl