Re: next steps...

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 12:44:04 -0700
Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> alright then. ;)
>
> So, what things do we need:
>
> - rules (somewhat discussed), need to see if we need any more.
>
> - frontend design / coding. Any GUI designers around? or does anyone
>   know any that would be interested in working on this?
>
> - backend design / coding. We may be able to piggyback here on a
>   'application store' type thing. I'm not sure if/when that might
>   exist. Anyone interested in working on this?
>
> - Some simple formulas we can test without frontend/backend. Herlo
> made one, I need to poke at it some, but others would be welcome. I
> think we are going to need a library of things available for reuse in
>   formulas and to figure out structure. Also, are there any common use
>   cases we should try and cover in the first few example formulas?
>
> - Can we build in some QA/testing/docs ? As we go, is there a way to
>   build things so it's easier to test/document?
>
> I think one git repo per formula is likely.
>
> formulas versions would then be 'foo-YYYYMMDD-githash' or something.
>
> I'm going to try and work on a roadmap on the trac site with things we
> need before 1.0 of the formulas framework and we can see if we can
> find folks to work on those.

so I know the idea of formulas as a way of describing a desktop or an
app on the desktop is..... exciting or something to people but it's not
what I originally cared about when I heard your idea for formulas.

I was thinking of an easy-to-follow thing a person could download to
quickly deploy fedora, in amazon or rackspace or google compute engine,
with a particular service or development environment setup and ready to
run.

1. so you checkout our git tree
2. you install/download ansible
3. you run: ansible-playbook formula-1/go.yml
4. you enjoy your resuling instance all ready and configured as we
described

maybe step 2.5 is you change some config values in the git tree or tell
it where to find your keys for aws or rackspace.

but in short - we run these things to let people use fedora for
something, probably in the cloud, probably right away.

Rather than worry about guis and all the overhead and assumptions we
have to make with that - would you be interested in seeing if we can get
some basic traction just w/the above?

-sv