Issue #788: IoT web site / landing page

duffy added a new comment to an issue you are following:
``
Posting the design review of the mockup so far from @kylerconway :

K_REY_C[m] (IRC)
I actually love the workstation/server/etc. graphics without the circles and hovering slightly above and out of the containing box. It doesn't draw the eye as much that it's a distinct element though (but the download arrows are highlighted quite well).
I tend to think about these things as conversion channels -- and I realize I don't know what official fedora version is most downloaded (or, which fedora would most like to be downloaded).
Just because of shapes, sizes, and placement my eye moves right past workstation to the triptych at the bottom (in part due to the darker color background of left and right).
Is the magazine article pull going to refresh with new content? (Also, is that the bottom of the homepage?)

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
yeh the ws one is a bit weak right now
probably should have a screenshot or illustration
yeh my thought is the mag content would get pulled from the rss

K_REY_C[m] (IRC)
That's awesome for the Mag content. That part's great.
I think more people would see it (it took me a long time to know it existed, and the homepage would have helped).
Does this section link anywhere?
You potentially have the option of adding some guiding language that could break up Workstation from the other releases. I think a textual break under workstation might help a bit.
Workstation is what most people who don't exactly know what they're looking for are probably looking for (right?), and IoT, Server, and Atomic are for doing something different, something more.
That wallpaper looks great on the laptop though. -- first impression of that image is: I want this on my computer.

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
yeh workstation is what everyone reviews
which section are you asking about linking?

K_REY_C[m] (IRC)
Actually -- you could use the great image of the laptop next to workstation -- that might give it the visual bump it needs and direct the eye better.
(link question was the blue screenshot I pasted above).

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
ah the pastes arent coming thru

K_REY_C[m] (IRC)
Oh. It's the blue USE/MODIFY/DISTRIBUTE section.

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
see i thought about that but wasnt sure what would go on top. maybe an illustration. ill try it.
ah. i was thinking itd link to the about fedora page
w upsell on joining community
i dont know if you saw the illustration svitek did for the podcast but i love it, could have illustration in that style up top and push laptop to ws section

K_REY_C[m] (IRC)
It's pretty big depending on what the goal is. (And, from that one project I did earlier about joining design, I think it would need to have more text and a clear clickable element for me to follow.)
I don't think I did see it, but can try to look tonight. I guess I'm just thinking if most people visit the page you want to see:
1) Fedora -- New Release -- Workstation -- Download now

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
yeh, i think it merits the real estate tho. how we make fedora and the floss bit is a differentiator o think

K_REY_C[m] (IRC)
2) other releases (also new): IoT, Server, Atomic)
3) Thinner call to action: learn more, join us.
4) Fresh articles from Fedora mag (i.e. we're a super-active/helpful community)
I agree -- my bias here is coming from a totally different world.
Perhaps a blend of language could work: Fedora Workstation is an innovative, free, easy-to-use operating system for laptop and desktop computers with a complete set of tools built by, and for, developers and makers of all kinds.
And some of the other language could go in the blue "who is Fedora, learn more, get involved" section -- still on the page.
Take with grains of salt.
(also, I'm hoping this is useful -- let me know if I can be more useful in some other way) :)

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
i was thinking of moving the blue block down maybe

K_REY_C[m] (IRC)
It provides a nice break for the magazine logo to attach to, but could work.
I really do like it! I just looked at the existing site again and love love love this one! Much easier to find download buttons, and see the different releases (and that laptop photo is great). Immediately visually refreshing (especially after the broken links with the dog!)

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
lol

K_REY_C[m] (IRC)
I've got to change locations -- so going afk (is that term still a thing?) for a bit. When will the new site be going up?

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
yeh i can figure out magazine logo placement tho
this is just a mockup i did this week, i havent shown it before
im guessing f29 wpuld be a target

K_REY_C[m] (IRC)
If this is early stages I'm super-excited for what's coming!

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
lol it is :-)

K_REY_C[m] (IRC)
I love having fedora mag on the front page like that. It's so much more approachable than "read the docs"
Okay -- I'm changing locations. Great work!

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
later! thank for the critique!
``

To reply, visit the link below or just reply to this email
https://pagure.io/fedora-websites/issue/788