Re: Guidelines and objectives about Fedora tools and translation

Hi there,

[snip]

As a new contributor, I was a bit confused about the many websites and tools of Fedora, because some are homemade others where use as SaaS solutions and didn't really know how to navigate from one to another, nor understood if translation was missing because the software didn't support it or because of the lack contributors.

I made a list of every websites I found :
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/G11N/List_of_Fedora_sites

Some of these websites are outdated, others are missing in your list. Others are not maintained by the websites team, but generally speaking when it comes to I18n we should clearly split apps and websites, as these are different groups and workflows.

The status is not very good :
* some websites are not translated (ex : developer.fedora)

developer.fp.o is kind of "hosted" by the websites team, and we had some discussions in the past with its maintainers if we want to include I18n or not. It is still a very new project, and we agreed to not do any translation for now as soon as we don't know how much this webapp is used by developers. Probably we can add translation markups later, but it is not a priority in this specifical moment.
Another website we do not translate is fudcon.fp.o, which is rather old and we will probably drop/rewrite/update it soon, also with I18n. All the other websites *are* set up for I18n, also our latest ones, which are:
* flocktofedora.org
* budget.fedoraprojedct.org
You will find the sources on zanata, but they are still closed, because we don't have final strings for these websites. I will open them soon and send out an update to the trans ML.

* many sites don't have the Fedmenu button to help navigation

I don't understand what you mean here, navigation is easy using the footer, within websites. We don't link to apps, this is not a function we need on the websites. If you like to have links to all our apps, you can go to apps.fedoraproject.org.

* most of tools are not translated

This is an Infra topic, but let me throw in another question: are we able to translate the changing contents of all our apps?

It was pretty much expected, but now, how do we fix this ?

My answer actually is: by translating what we have :)
Just an example: our main website (getfedora.org) is 100% translated by only 6 local teams! Only 14 local teams reached more than 80%.
Spins.fp.o is even worse, only 3 teams reached 100% and only 7 teams have translated more than 80%, only 8 teams more than 70%.
Personally I think we should first concentrate the activity towards the strings we have, and they are on the main websites. Otherwise we would add more and more strings, but if translation teams already have difficulties with the actual websites, it would become worse. Unfortunately L10n teams have so much to translate (docs, software, web, apps...) we probably need more hands to get the work done.

The work is huge, so we need to make a little bit of planning.
What are the guidlines we would like to have for websites and tools ?

Here I can give just a personal opinion. I would make a list of the main websites and put them on a TODO list for every new release cycle; that means other stuff would get a lower priority. Some teams already do that internally, but it's a good practice if you would say: first of all let's get getfedora.org, spins.fp.o, labs.fp.o and arm.fp.o translated, even start.fp.o as the default website for Firefox and Chromium is important IMHO.
This kind of setting priorities to all L10n members could help to go into the right direction.

We also have to agree between trans/infra/website teams and be realistic : none of our groups can handle and objective like 100% of websites and tools have to be internationalized and translated.

True.

Anyone would like to help us writing and then discussing this between #trans, #infra and #websites ?

Subjects are :
* global guidelines
* short term objectives (2016)
* mid-term objectives (2017)

Hopefully we have someone from the websites team who can help you here, I have too many things on my plate actually.

Sincerely,
--
Jean-Baptiste Holcroft

Thanks for taking care of this.