Re: New start.fedoraproject.org page layout

Il 19/gen/2015 05:24 "Neil Hulin" <nhulin@xxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> Just a quick note about the new layout for the http://start.fedoraproject.org page (which is my home page). The new layout means that I have to scroll the page to see all the headlines. Only the top three entries fit on the screen. This is much less useful than the old page where I could quickly scan for new information every time I opened my browser. I think you've really reduced the usability here.
>
> Thanks and best regards, ...neil
> --

Hi Neil,
thank you for your feedback, we will have some changes in the next days/weeks but more or less the layout should remain the same, but let's see...
Just some points we wanted to get with the new start.fpo page:
* The layout of the former start.fpo was outdated, we decided to follow getfedora.org and make a mobile responsive website;
* The old start.fpo page had two feeds, unfortunately they often broke the hourly build and we wanted to improve that;
* Planet posts have become more and more personal, often are not Fedora related and in some cases were understood as offensive to some people.
* We want to promote our official news of fedoramagazine.org instead of planet blog posts. These are the real "news" and having a preview of the text content is useful to understand immediately what the post is talking about and you can easily "scan" them, probably much better than before when you had only the titles of the Planet.
* Also, ask.fedoraproject.org and the documentation were not present in the old start.fpo page, two important channels we are supporting and willing to bring nearer to Fedora end users.
We decided to show 5 posts of fedoramagazine.org to limit scrolling down the page reasonably, but this depends also on your resolution.

I hope this helps to understand better the new start.fpo website. Thank you again for letting us know your opinion.
Kind regards

--
Robert Mayr
(robyduck)