Re: Maybe it's time to say goodbye to start.fedoraproject.org?

>default start page for Firefox in Fedora and simply use the firefox
>about:home page as the default starting page for the browser.

+1. I totally agree that start.fpo should be replaced with something a
bit more modern and useful, but I don't think about:home is going to
do it. IMHO, Fedora should create a start page similar to what Firefox
has done with their start page; a Google search box with some Firefox
news on the bottom. We could possibly do something like that, but I
don't know whether there are any constraints on doing so. The main
problem with start.fpo is that it doesn't have enough functionality,
which makes it a bit of an annoyance.

> be problematic as it conflicts with our values of FOSS - it basically
> promotes and endorses Google, a thing that is morally questionable and
> that I'm not even sure if we are legally allowed to do.

Quite frankly, I understand that we value FOSS and usually don't use
any non-FOSS software in Fedora, but I think it is important that we
put a search engine or other useful page as the stock homepage. Google
isn't FOSS; but I don't really see another viable solution here,
although we could just completely ditch customized start pages and go
with browser defaults.

Whatever path we decide to take, I'll definitely be there to help :)
--

Chaoyi Zha
cydrobolt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx