Re: Homepage misses search field and visible wiki link

On 03/04/2014 04:33 PM, Elad Alfassa wrote:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Honza Horak <hhorak@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:hhorak@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi guys,

    mostly as UX-beginner I dare to propose the following changes on the
    Fedora Project homepage (http://fedoraproject.org):

    * include a search field for wiki with proper text like:
         Search wiki pages: [________] [go]
       (well, ideally it would search for everything, like packages,
    builds, services, doc, wiki pages, ...; but I know it would need too
    much work)

    * add one more link to the wiki somewhere more visible than only in
    the footer (I believe I'm not the only one who doesn't remember the
    wiki url and returns to the wiki very often through the homepage)

    Regards,
    Honza

Hi.

I don't think it's a good idea. The wiki is not for users, it's for
contributors. Most of it will be really confusing for users.
We do have a link to the wiki near the header, it's called
"Contributors" cause the wiki is for contributors.

A more prominent wiki link would probably fit as part of the new hub.fpo
contributor hub idea.

I don't agree that wiki is for contributors only, not even mostly for contributors. There is a lot valid information for users as well.

Regarding search, there has been plans for years to have a search system
for the entire fedora ecosystem, unfortunately nobody ever implemented
that and I don't think anyone is working on that.

So why not to add a simple "Search wiki" for now and change it if anyone comes with a better solution?

Honza