Re: Upgrading MediaWiki

On 18 January 2013 04:23, Maria Miteva <mariya.miteva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Mariya and I am an intern with the Wikimedia Foundation. I am
> currently working on reaching out to 3-rd party MediaWiki users to find out
> more about your problems, what features you would like to see in the future
> and how the community can make your work with MediaWiki easier and more
> efficient.
>
> I have noticed at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Special:Version  that you
> are using an old version of MediaWiki - 1.19.2 . I would live to invite you
> to upgrade to the current version 1.20.2 ,
> which offers many new features as well as security fixes, or at least
> version 1.19.3 with the latest security fixes for 1.19.

Hi Maria

Thank you for contacting us. I am planning on moving to 1.19.3 later
this month once we finished testing on it. We will be sticking with
1.19 for its time frame of support. When the next LTS release after
1.19 comes out we will switch to that. Sorry for so long in getting to
1.19.3 yet.

> I was wondering what is holding you back from upgrading to the current
> version. It seems that many MediaWiki users prefer to keep an old version.
> Please share your experience with upgrades at the appropriate thread at
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki_vendors. There are other
> discussions on the page that you might want to join or if you have any other
> issues, please feel free to start a discussion yourself.
>
> Another good communication channel I strongly encourage you to join if you
> have not done so already is the mediawiki-enterprise mailing list . Please
> feel free to use that for questions, comments, resources related to
> third-party use of MediaWiki. Also, I recommend the mediawiki-announce
> mailing list, which is very low traffic and will only inform you of new
> version releases.
>
> Also, please keep in mind that if you decide to upgrade or have other
> problems, we are there to support you at #mediawiki on Freenode as well as
> the mediawiki-I mailing list.
>
> Let me know if I can help somehow.
>
> Mariya
>

> --

Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."
Linus Torvalds
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd