Re: Clear text passwords

On 6 November 2012 08:34, Kévin Raymond <shaiton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le lundi 05 nov. 2012 à 22:04:07 (+0000), Engle, Perry a écrit :
>> Hello - It's been happening for a while, but it's really (really) time to end storing clear text passwords in the database.  It's *LONG* past time to send them in email to your users.
>>
>> If you'd like proof, go to
>>
>> http://plaintextoffenders.com/submit
>> And
>> http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/06/naming-and-shaming-the-plaintext-offenders/
>>
>> Of all places, Fedora and Red Hat should be leading this charge.
>
> Hi,
>
> I suppose you refer to the Mailman monthly reminder?
> I agree, we can ask all the mailing lists admin to disable this "feature".

Originally the passwords were set up in the default way but this
spring I changed many of the users passwords to the randomly chosen
method (16 character random string). I removed all ways for the user
to change the password so the only way for them to know what the
password is via a reminder.

I looked at that time on either hashing the passwords in mailman or
some other method, and it was non-trivial. I am waiting for the
hyperkitty implementation for a real fix.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."