Re: FUDCon Website

On 19 September 2011 10:54, tuxdna <tuxdna@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:25 PM, Vaidik Kapoor <kapoor.vaidik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the links. Now I have an idea about what you want to do.
> Though I am not much educated about how do things work in the Fedora
> community, there are a couple of things I had in my mind with which I think
> you also seem to agree. I had replied to Shreyank's mail earlier. However, I
> sent it as a personal reply, which wasn't sent to you. So I am going to
> forward it to you so that you get to know as to what I had in my mind.

I received your email now. Thanks.

> As I read the threads, I noticed that you and other community members have
> big plans of having everything related to other events logged in place,
> which is good and that's how even I think it should be. But, I really think
> that FUDCon is really close. Our main focus should be FUDCon Pune first and
> then after the event, we can go ahead and take initiatives for putting
> everything in one place. In fact, the website should be up real soon is what
> I think and with COD, we just have to focus on the theming bit.

I agree that we need to put up a website for FUDCon Pune as a priority.

> Let me know about what you think about this so that work can be put on fast
> pace.

For the points you mentioned in another email:

> IMO, these are the things that we need to work on immediately:
>  1. User registration and login
>    Is it going to be new registration for every user? Shouldn't we be using FAS as it makes more sense?

FAS should be perferred, however not all attendees would have a FAS
account. Maybe we can use OpenID.

Not too sure about OpenID. If I am not wrong, the main target audience of FUDCon is current contributors and people who are interested in Fedora, have been using Fedora, etc. And of course, FUDCon is an initiative to bring people in the community and make it stronger. Therefore, I think FAS should make sense. Contributors => already have FAS account, people interested in Fedora => most probably have FAS account, people who want to join the community and contribute => should get an FAS account for themselves anyways.

> 2. Website theme
>  i.e. the design/front-end.

I don't really know about Drupal theming. So I can't say how to do it
properly. However, I think we can split up the work into two parts:
 * making the website functional
 * creating a Drupal theme

So is the case with me. I am module developer. However, theming has also been on mind for a while. So I can try that out. ;)

This way we can do them in parallel.

> 3. Hosting for website deployment
>  If we are going to work together (which I think we are), we need to have a centralised space where we can work. Let this be the hosting instance as moving a Drupal instance from one instance to another could be a pain in case of COD.

Agreed and here is what we need:
 * a place where hosting space where we can collaboratively tweak and
   test the COD installation
 * fixup meeting timings for discussions

Let us meet on IRC in the evening today on #fedora-websites at 6:00PM  ?

Yes, 6:00 PM is good. Lets meet up then and talk it out.

Added to CC: Rahul Sundaram, Harvish Sekar, and websites mailing list.

/tuxdna

Cheers!
Vaidik