Recent Change to SoaS Spins Page (Intros)

This is an email Mel originally wrote, but we wanted to make sure it gets out before POSSE Doha wraps, so I'm sending it for her.

--Sebastian

-----

Hi, everyone - I wanted to explain some recent activity on the Sugar on a Stick spins page that I've pushed. The patch updating the website for the current release is actually the work of  Affan Syed, Saquib Razak and Citizen Ben.

They're part of http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_Doha, a workshop in Qatar we're running for local faculty who are interested in having their students contribute to open source projects as part of the classes they teach. As part of this, we (Sebastian Dziallas and I) wanted them to have the experience of making their own first contribution to an open source project, so we asked them to update the website for us - and they did.

The professors themselves may or may not (probably not, since classes start again soon) continue to contribute to Fedora Websites, but they may be bringing their students into the Fedora community next school year, so if you're interested in talking with them about that, feel free to drop them a line.

Saquib Razak saquibrazak@xxxxxxxxx - I teach introductory programming courses and want to introduce open source development to students. (Mel notes: If you're working on an open source project that could use the efforts of about 20 new contributors who have completed basic programming courses (but may be new to large-scale open source software development) for a semester - maybe 5 hours of work a week per student - and are willing to take the time to mentor/guide them and build documentation on how they can get started with your project, email Saquib.)

Citizen Ben ctzenben@xxxxxxxxx - I work on Arabic human language technology and am interested in expanding Arabic Wikipedia by Machine Translation. (Mel notes: Ben's questions to Sebastian and myself over lunch centered around community dynamics - they're machine-translation researchers asking "how can our work with language engines be useful towards building an Arabic Wikipedia community?" He and his team can automatically create Arabic Wikipedia pages from English ones, and vice versa, and automatically analyze the quality of a translation, but he doesn't have Wikipedia or open source community experience to figure out how to make this work useful to the relevant communities. If you can help him get started, let him know.)

Affan Syed (affan.syed@xxxxxxxxx): I am an Assistant Professor in the EE department at FAST-NUCES (Islamabad Campus http://www.nu.edu.pk/Isbcamp.aspx.).  I wlll be teaching courses on Embedded Systems and Distributed Computing in SP 2011. I am looking at Eucalyptus and similar open source projects as a *possibility* to get my students to work with (but unlikely that they will go beyond getting it deployed) for a FA2011 course on cloud and mobile computing.  But I am open to other options for my above courses. (Mel notes: if you're working on cloud and interested in academic collaborators, get in touch with Affan - he's said everything else I would have written to introduce him already. :-)

We've also been working with Bilal Zafar from USC who teaches more towards the hardware side of things and is interested in what's going on with teaching open hardware platforms (beagleboard, arduino, etc), so email bzafar@xxxxxxx if you're interested in talking with a professor about that.

This has been your friendly semi-regular education-stuff interruption from Mel and Sebastian. Carry on. :-)

--Mel