Re: Significant traffic increase from fedoraproject.org to redhat.com since 1 Sep 2010

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 07:37:13PM -0700, Darren VanBuren wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2010, at 8:08, Keith Watkins <kwatkins@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Referral traffic returned to "normal" levels on 24 Sep 2010.  Did
> > you investigate and find anything?  Did you do something to stop
> > the referral traffic?  If so, what did you do?  Thank you.
> My *guess* is that a search engine crawler is causing this, as some
> pages running on the phx2 boxes have a clickable Red Hat logo, and
> crawlers would easily be able to follow that link.
>
> Also, why is this such an issue? I see no reason why it'd be a
> problem. I would greatly appreciate if you explained why it's so
> concerning.

After some conversation with Keith, I think the issue was that it was
such a difference that it naturally attracted his attention looking at
the resulting graphs.  If Fedora caused such a jump in eyeballs on Red
Hat's site, naturally Red Hat as our sponsor would be interested in
what caused it, whether it's desirable, or could be replicated.  Not
in terms of finger-pointing, but rather, "Wow, that's really
interesting, what led to so much increased interest in our site from
people visiting a Fedora site?"

I talked to Keith about the information he might want to procure from
the Red Hat IT folks to see where the referrals actually came from.
The ball's in Red Hat's court to pursue as they wish now since their
own logs are going to give them the most valuable information.