Re: [Fwd: Re: Download confusion]

On 4/4/09 1:17 AM, Ricky Zhou wrote:
On 2009-04-04 01:10:56 AM, Ricky Zhou wrote:
Any idea exactly how people are being confused by the text
"Intel-compatible PCs?"  Should we perhaps make this text larger and
more noticable?  I don't know about most people, but I would personally
be more confused/intimidated if presented with all of those processor
names.
True... Increasing the text size would help though.

Actually, I just searched around the docs site a bit, and maybe we
should add a link to
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-which-arch.html.
+1

This has both the model names and types.  It still might be a bit
intimidating to many people though, since it attempts to list every
single possible case (I still find "Intel-compatible PC" to be a bit
easier to understand).
If users aren't sure which of i386 or x86_64 to choose, should we make
it clearer that i386 will work if they're not sure?
This reminded me about another problem related to the i386/x86_64/ppc download confusion: Release confusion. We have also been finding a lot of users downloading the Fedora 11 Beta by accident, not realizing that it is not a production release. I think this may be because it appears first on the "See all torrents" and "See all custom spins" without a warning...

Either way, I think we can solve both problems at once by organizing the download options and presenting a few more (more than just i386, at least) them on the main download page. I've attached a mockup I made that combines the "Get Fedora" and "Show me all downloads in one page" pages.

Thanks,
Stewart