Re: step 5 - send a self-introduction email

mapleoin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,

I've been playing around with Linux for 3-4 years and have now decided to
be part of a team of contributors. So, I've been playing with the joining
fedora-websites process all day and I finally got to the introductory
step.

I've already created a wiki account: IonuțArțăriși and
a FAS one: mapleoin.

I'm primarily interested in developing my web programming skills. I've had
experience as a web developer(mainly as a hobby, but have also developed
two websites using django and rails). I think my HTML\CSS skills are good
and my python/ruby skills are those of a begginer. I'd really love to help
with server side programming where I can, but I also think I'll need some
guidance. A mentor would be nice, but I guess the IRC channel will do just
fine otherwise :).
I'm a bit tired of arranging elements with CSS, so that wouldn't be very
attractive for me and I'm also not very happy doing the webdesign job.

I hope that's ok for starters.

Now, when/how do I begin? Where do I go next? (I have to say I loved the
well-documented steps until now).

Hi mapleoin!

I see that you talked to ricky already on IRC. He's one of our main developers so it's definitely good that you connected. Luke Macken (lmacken), Matt Domsch (mdomsch), Yaakov Nemoy (loupgaroublond), John Palmieri (J5), and I (abadger1999) are some of the other developers. We're all available on irc.freenode.net in #fedora-admin and on the fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list.

We'd be happy to have you join us! (More than happy, ecstatic!) If you want to stay away from the web design portion and work more on the server-side programming aspect, that's fine, a lot of our work starts off with a basic, functional interface and when it gets to be enough of an eyesore, we'll get someone to help redesign the look and feel.

I have a number of tasks that you can jump into with greater and lesser degrees of independence. We'll be around to help on IRC whether you take on one of the independent tasks, or one that's part of another project.

High value, independent project:
* Write a new voting application in TurboGears. Our present voting application is just a cgi script that needs to be updated for every election. We'd like to be able to add new elections via the web, have a history view of past elections, and other enhancements. Just getting the basics into a TurboGears application would let us get rid of an aging code-base (fedora-accounts) that we don't want to support anymore.

Part of a larger project:
* I have a large number of outstanding features against the pkgdb that I'd like to see added. These range from redesigning the JSON API to adding UI to jump directly to packages. This could give you some ideas: https://fedorahosted.org/packagedb/report/3

-Toshio