Re: Omniture & Fedora

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Jesse Eversole Jr wrote:

Anyone who would like to know more about how our website tracking infrastructure works please feel free to contact me. It suffices to say that you will find it far superior to awstats having been a user of awstats in the past.

To be clear:

I am not proposing that Fedora *stop* using awstats.  I love awstats.

I am trying to open the door for Jesse to explain to the Fedora webmasters how we can make a few tweaks to enable Omniture, and why that would be useful to the larger body of Red Hat, and be a reasonably simple thing for Fedora to do.

Jesse, could you give these folks some details? I'm opening the door for you, but you've gotta step through it :)

--Max

Max Spevack wrote:
Fedora Webmasters:

A while back (maybe back when we were still split between fedora.redhat.com and fedoraproject.org), we had some code on a few of our pages that allowed basic web statistics to be sucked into Red Hat's larger web traffic analysis program -- the stuff that tracks visits for redhat.com, jboss.com, etc.

Red Hat uses something called Omniture for this.
http://www.omniture.com/

In Fedora, we use awstats to track lots of things about people who visit *.fedoraproject.org, and I personally find those stats to be very interesting and revealing.

The folks who manage Red Hat's Omniture stuff would like to add in a little bit of tracking into Fedora's websites.

My understanding is that this would involve the addition of some Javascript on *selected* pages (perhaps index.html, get-fedora.html, join.html, release notes, whatever. We can discuss that).

The purpose of adding this in would be to allow Red Hat's larger web analysis group to see how Fedora traffic compares to and maps to other Red Hat traffic. This would be valuable to them, and I would ask the Fedora Websites team to allow Jesse Eversole (Red Hat engineer who I have copied on this message) to share more details with you and then consider the proposal.

Thank you for your time.

--Max