Re: Website update

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Máirín Duffy wrote:

Black space issues should be fixed.

Not yet. See my other mail.

Yes, as I wrote, it is now working as designed.

Why is that a problem?

Not a problem if you choose the wording to accommodate users without a net connection which you already agree with.

Oh okay.

I would prefer we highlight the small boot.iso image for network installation much more here.

Can you give me some text for that? Honestly the wiki page does a great job with all of this but I don't want to parrot the whole page. I want this to be short and simple.

Do that many people really download the boot.iso image and do network installs?

Many people are simply not aware of it and still think Fedora doesn't have a network installation feature.

Here is some sample text:

Generic version:

All ISO images of Fedora support a network installation feature which you can use to install Fedora over a http/ftp/nfs network and can be controlled remotely using VNC. A small (less than 10 MB) boot.iso image is available from under the os/images folder in your favorite mirror. You can access the network installation feature by entering the "askmethod" option in the boot prompt. Read the Fedora installation guide (link to http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/) for more details.

Alternatively a FC6 specific version:

All ISO images of Fedora support a network installation feature which you can use to install Fedora over a http/ftp/nfs network and can be controlled remotely using VNC. A small (7.9 MB) boot.iso image is available from http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/images/ or in your favorite mirror. You can access the network installation feature by entering the "askmethod" option in the boot prompt. Read the Fedora installation guide (link to http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/fc6/en/sn-alt-install-method.html) for more details.

Great, I'll add this in! Thanks!!

Shouldn't we have a good page explaining the differences between different spins and what target they serve in this page?

I have no idea what the differences are between the different spins, I don't even know what they are at this point. If you think this is really important, can you point me to or draft some text to explain it?

Thinking about this we're going to be making it very difficult for someone to just click a link and download what they want. Maybe the download page should be refactored for each of the different spins? And link directly?

Yep. Don't worry about this for now for the FC6 pages. I will write about the different spins before Fedora 7 release.

Okay thanks!

~m

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Users]     [Linux ARM]     [ARM Kernel]     [Older Fedora Users]     [Fedora Advisory Board]     [Fedora Security]     [Fedora Devel Java]     [Fedora Desktop]     [ATA RAID]     [Fedora Marketing]     [Fedora Mentors]     [Fedora Package Announce]     [Fedora Package Review]     [Fedora Music]     [Fedora Packaging]     [Centos]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Coolkey]     [Yum Users]     [Yosemite News]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Art]     [Fedora Docs]     [Asterisk PBX]