Re: urgent major problem after f39 to f40 upgrade.

On 10/14/24 8:36 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 10/14/24 4:36 PM, home user via users wrote:
On 10/14/24 4:00 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 10/14/24 2:43 PM, home user via users wrote:
On 10/10/24 2:02 PM, home user via users wrote:

The first command that the tool owner suggested is "dnf history list". I did that and redirected output to the text file "dnfhist.txt".  It's attached.  From that, I concluded that the tool most likely hung/crashed while trying to remove "libgweather4". (Notice how long that took.) Question: Does anything in that list of deleted packages look suspicious or wrong?

There are some serious issues in that list.  Removing "passwd"??  But also, look how many packages get removed by some of those.

I did notice those things!  But I don't know if they actually were retired or something went wrong.  So I posted the data and question.

The second command that the tool owner suggested is "dnf history info [ID]", where ID is from the output of "dnf history list".  I did that for "libgweather4" and redirected output to the text file "info1665.txt".  It's attached.  Does anything in there look suspicious or wrong?

Very much.  It's removing most of Gnome, including gdm.  And they are F39 packages.

What you need to look at is the info for the system-upgrade at 1651 to maybe see what went wrong or at least see where it stopped.

The resulting file is almost 1 megabytes in size, almost 10,000 lines long.  I don't think I can attach that to a post to this list.  I can send the output file to any list member that requests it.

Using vim and setting ignorecase, and searching for "error" and "warning", and manually visually scanning through, I did not see any errors or warnings in the update phase of the process, but it's certainly easy to miss something.  I saw a vast number of warnings and errors in the clean-up phase.  It did look like the process completed.

It clearly didn't complete because you had at least gdm and the various -release packages from F39.  You can email me the file if you want.

There's no indication in that info that it failed, so I have no idea what could have happened. The gweather removal did fail, but that was also removing packages that should not have been there.

See if "dnf system-upgrade log" will list any logs. If it does, then "dnf system-upgrade log <number>" will show you the journal from that run. See if there is anything interesting in there.