Re: filezilla and firewalls

On Thu, Oct 10, 2024 at 8:43 AM Tim via users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2024-10-09 at 15:03 +0100, Will McDonald wrote:
> > If it's definitely FTPS (as opposed to SSH-based SFTP) it looks like
> > that needs ports 990 and 989.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTPS
>
> The Filezilla configuration is FTP protocol, explicit FTP over TLS.
>
> > You've already mostly discounted tethering as a cause. So it's
> > probably either firewall or potential certificate-related. Does the
> > working system have anything additional configured in terms of
> > Certificate Authority? Compare / contrast /etc/pki/ca-trust/ between
> > the systems.
>
> I'm still highly suspicious of the tethering (perhaps there's some
> peculiar NAT in the phone), even if it does work on another PC.
>
> At the moment I'm playing with just one PC.  Either plugging it's
> ethernet into a router (which does work), or disconnecting and using
> USB tethering (which only partially works).
>
> I'll have a look at the other PC on another email.
>
> > Compare the output of `firewall-cmd --list-all` between the hosts.
> >
> > You haven't said what error Filezilla gives when it fails to work.
>
> Ooops, forgot that...  Bowdlerised connection addresses used below:
>
> Firstly, a working example of normal ethernet connection on the same PC
> to the remote FTP server:
>
> Upon starting a connection, I'm immediately shown a pop-up window about
> the SSL certificate, about it being unknown, to authorise it now (and
> optionally forever).  Since I haven't clicked the remember for the
> future option, I always get prompted.

> Response:       331 User example OK. Password required
> Command:        PASS **************************************
> Response:       230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
> Command:        SYST
> Response:       215 UNIX Type: L8
> Command:        FEAT
> Response:       211-Extensions supported:
> Response:        UTF8
> Response:        EPRT
> Response:        IDLE
> Response:        MDTM
> Response:        SIZE
> Response:        MFMT
> Response:        REST STREAM
> Response:        MLST type*;size*;sizd*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.uid*;UNIX.gid*;unique*;
> Response:        MLSD
> Response:        PRET
> Response:        AUTH TLS
> Response:        PBSZ
> Response:        PROT
> Response:        TVFS
> Response:        ESTA
> Response:        PASV
> Response:        EPSV
> Response:        ESTP
> Response:       211 End.
> Command:        OPTS UTF8 ON
> Response:       504 Unknown command
> Command:        PBSZ 0
> Response:       200 PBSZ=0
> Command:        PROT P
> Response:       200 Data protection level set to "private"
> Command:        CWD /www
> Response:       250 OK. Current directory is /public_html
> [...]

I did not comment earlier, but I suspect there's a proxy in play for
your mobile connection. That's why things work as expected using your
PC, but fail over mobile.

I suspect you are being intercepted somewhere along the mobile path.
It may be on the device using some sort of antivirus package, or by an
application server or caching proxy server.

If possible, you should try on a mobile device using an OS like
LineageOS. LineageOS does not include all the extra crap bundled by
carriers. The first thing I do with my Pixel devices is get rid of
Android (and the carrier mods) and load LineageOS. See
<https://lineageos.org/>.

Jeff