Re: Sometimes need to Ctrl-Alt-F1 and log in again to resume GNOME session

On Fri, 2024-10-04 at 08:20 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> There have been many changes to linux in an effort to minimize power
> consumption.  This is needed to get volume orders for cubicle farms
> where power and cooling are a major concern.

I have to wonder how well Fedora would really do in businesses.  A six
month churn, or even yearly churn if you skip alternate releases, would
be a major pain.  You only have to look at how long businesses hang
onto ancient Windows releases as an example.  And then there's the
opposite, of the long-term releases that use seriously out-of-date
software (even to begin with).  Though I think the biggest issue to
business take-up will be "it's not Windows," while is probably *the*
reason that home users deliberate pick Linux.

Researching do companies use Fedora? (I should have searched for do
*big* companies...)

"We have data on 23,511 companies that use Fedora. The companies using
Fedora are most often found in United States and in the Information
Technology and Services industry. Fedora is most often used by
companies with 1-10 employees and 1M-10M dollars in revenue."

That's not encouraging data.

The auto-standby power saving is just greenwashing.  I can't imagine
anybody who wants their PC to go to sleep after a few minutes of being
untouched, then have to wake it up again (assuming that it will).  It's
almost as irritating as people with 5 second screensavers on their
phone.

> If the USB hub is not powered, it probably gets reduced power from
> the PC in sleep mode, which might be on the edge of what is needed to
> allow the mouse to work.   If you connect the mouse directly to the
> PC do you still have the problem?

I remember some PCs (in the past) not supplying enough power to USB
sockets in standby mode for wake by keyboard/mouse to work.  There
often used to be motherboard jumpers, or BIOS settings, about stand-by
USB power for individual sockets (whether to have that socket on
switched power, or separately supply it on stand-by).  If the PC does
send its USB socket into low-power mode, that's only a few milliamps
and I can't imagine any hub liking that.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.119.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 4 14:43:51 UTC 2024 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.