Re: Move Fedora Server to new machine, RAID1 -> Single disk

On 27 Sep 2024 at 19:05, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

From:           	Jeffrey Walton <noloader@xxxxxxxxx>
Date sent:      	Fri, 27 Sep 2024 19:05:31 -0400
Subject:        	Move Fedora Server to new machine, RAID1 ->
Single disk
To:             	users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Send reply to:  	noloader@xxxxxxxxx,
	Community support for Fedora users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a Fedora Server running F40 on an old Proliant G5 with hardware
> RAID1. The machine is giving too much trouble so I would like to
> migrate to newer hardware with a single SSD. Both machines are x86_64.
>
> I've been researching methods to perform the migration, but I am not
> clear on the strategy. Some folks say provide a method and say it
> works, other folks say it does not work. I think I have hit
> diminishing returns on reading from the web.

Seen this message and a number of replies. Some comments.
I've been maintainer of G4L disk imaging program since 2004, so
some things.

With some hardware raid systems the OS doesn't see it as raid,
since it only sees that the hardware shows it. So might only show
as a single drive.
Had a Novell server with Duplexed Drives and noted only 1 drive
had boot loader installed, so one had to manually copy it to second
drive. So, would handle a drive failure, but boot from drive might
not work on next boot. Old Novell 2.2 machine long long ago.

Another thing. Should proble create a new rescue kernel, since the
regular kernels generally only include the current hardware files,
so if hardware is real different, might not have required files to
load. Moved a system from old ide drive to sata drive and regular
kernel didn't load. Used rescue kernel, and it worked fine. Then just
hard id reinstall kernal, and it corrected issue with default kernel.

Good Luck.

> I am planning on using Clonezilla to clone the image to a portable
> drive, and then restore the image from the portable drive to the new
> machine. I've had success with Clonezilla in the past, but I restored
> to the same machine.
>
> Does anyone have experience with a migration like this? If so, can you
> provide feedback?
>
> Jeff
> --

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor (Retired)
 mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxx
 mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
 mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxx
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins