Re: Apache suspend/resume (again)

Once upon a time, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> No. All other network functions are working, including DNS. The problem
> is exclusively with Apache, not because it's failing (nothing in the
> journal suggests that and there's nothing in its own error.log) but
> because the system is explicitly halting it.

It's been a bit since I ran Apache httpd, but it was not reactive to
network interface changes.  On suspend, NetworkManager effectively downs
all interfaces, and re-ups them on resume.  In my past experience, httpd
did not handle this cleanly; it saw the interface(s) and/or bound IPs
(if configured for specific IPs) go away and exited.  httpd expects a
stable network (e.g. from a server environment).

Even on a server, with NM you should have NetworkManager-config-server
installed, because otherwise NM will down interfaces if link goes away
(switch is rebooted, somebody trips over the network cable, etc.), which
will cause httpd to exit.  This isn't exclusively an httpd problem,
there are other network server daemons that don't handle bound
interfaces and/or IPs going away; they either stop listening on said
interfaces/IPs or exit completely.

For any service that doesn't handle active network changes, you should
stop it before suspend and start it after resume, after the network is
back online.  I don't think network-online.target is sufficient for
this, I think it only activates at boot, not suspend/resume.  I don't
know if there is an equivalent for post-resume; might have to write
something yourself that runs from an NM dispatch script.
--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>