Re: Strange laptop behavior #2

On Sat, Aug 24, 2024 at 11:28 AM Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What confuses me is according to the apcupsd.conf file NOLOGON is
disabled.

It would have been good to mention that you are using APC gear. APC had
a good reputation, was bought by Schneider Electric in 2007.  After that,
APC gear went through a period when the quality was poor , but eventually
recovered.   I currently use an APC UPS for the network and another for a
workstation.

I've configured many APC UPS's for servers and some high-end desktops.
I did use laptops to manage older Best Ferrups that had serial ports.  We used
Network UPS Tools (NUT) because we had multiple UPS brands.   The laptop
could get a "power fail" signal and if power didn't return in a few minutes (because
generators failed or some other electrical fault like a contractor setting a
building on fire!) it sent shutdown commands to all the systems.  We restarted
systems manually -- network servers first, then workstations.

From the NUT FAQ:

17. My system has an ATX power supply. It will power off just fine, but it doesn’t turn back on. What can I do to fix this?

This depends on how clueful your motherboard manufacturer is, and isn’t a matter of the OS. You have to do one of the following things depending on what’s supported:

  • Set a jumper on the motherboard that means "return after outage"
  • Set something in the BIOS that says "power up after power failure"
  • Try using something (like a capacitor) across the power button to "push" it for you — this might not work if it needs a delay
  • Hack the cable between the power supply and the motherboard to fool it into powering up whenever line power is present
  • Teach a monkey to watch the machine and press the power button when the outage is over. This might work, but it creates high produce bills.

If you can’t use one of the first two options, give the board to an enemy. Let them worry about it.

So it should never have created the nologin file in /etc to
block me from being able to login as a normal user.  Also there is no
way to tell apcupsd that it's a laptop.  So when there is 5 minutes left
on the UPS battery apcupsd will initiate a system shutdown. This is
great for one of my systems but not for the laptop which can run without
mains.

Paolo

On 8/23/24 22:43, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 8/23/24 2:53 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>> Folks,
>>   I previously sent a message regarding my laptop powering off
>> unexpectedly.  Here is an update.  Power came back on, but I cannot
>> login to my laptop.  When I try to login to the mate gui it replies
>> with power failure and authentication failure.  If I enter
>> ctrl-alt-F1, login as root  I can login. If I then enter su -
>> pgaltieri I can login as me.  If I then enter su - pgaltieri it
>> prompts for password and when I enter my passwd I can login just
>> fine.  This problem occurs on both my systems there were shutdown due
>> to the power outage.  What do I have to do to be able to log in?
>> This is happening with F39 and F40.
>
> This would all make sense if you have the UPS control connected to the
> laptop.  I suggest you unplug that for now to get normal use of your
> laptop.

George N. White III